The Giessen Graduate School for the Humanities
[Gießener Graduiertenzentrum Kulturwissenschaften (GGK)]
The Giessen Graduate School for the Humanities (GGK) is a central facility of Justus Liebig University (JLU) – an interdisciplinary and interdepartmental School that, since its founding in 2001, has been redesigning the process of earning a doctorate to meet contemporary demands. The GGK is open to all PhD students of the faculties 03, 04 and 05.
Along with the structured configuration and qualitative improvement of postgraduate education, priority is given to increasing the research intensity of promising junior researchers, as well as internationalising and professionalising the pre-degree period. The School's official mission encompasses many aspects of advancing up-and-coming researchers, including:
- The involvement of postgraduates in research projects in the humanities
- The coordination of all educational opportunities that are relevant for dissertation projects in the humanities
- The GGK programme for postgraduates in the humanities, including the courses known as "Grundkurs Promotion" and "Aufbaukurs Promotion" ("Core" and "Intermediate Course")
- The development and implementation of additional, target-group specific educational and advancement opportunities – for instance, workshops on academic writing and publication
- The inclusion of postdoctoratal researchers in teaching duties
- Advice for questions related to financial matters
- Assistance for prospective researchers in publishing reviews – for instance, for the online GGK review journal, KULT_online – or essay collections during the course of their studies
- The internationalisation of doctoral studies through: Building multinational links within disciplines in the study of culture, organisation of and participation in international conferences, and the International PhD Programme "Literary and Cultural Studies" (IPP)
- Guidance for postgraduates that extends beyond their studies, encompassing preparations for professional life provided by the GGK Career Service, as well as the establishment of an Alumni Network.
Annette Cremer : Annette.Cremer@gcsc.uni-giessen.de
Phone: 0641 – 99 30027