As an international graduate centre with a wide range of research projects in the study of culture we want scholars and staff to enjoy and participate in a productive and engaging atmosphere built on diversity and equality. It is therefore our pleasure and concern to offer ample opportunities that involve all members regardless of their nationality, ethnicity, class, or gender. In doing so, we join forces with the centre’s Gender Equality Committee and the women’s representative as well as with the programme “Combining Career and Family”.
With respect to gender equality the centre fosters balanced representation on all levels:
- The Gender Equality Committee acts as the institutionalized body for gender parity and anti-discrimination policies.
- The centre ensures parity with all recruiting and selection processes on PhD- and post-doc levels including the awarding of scholarships.
- We help to combine family and graduate studies by offering financial support for scholarship holders and by actively cooperating with the university’s family programme.
- Involvement of individual gender-related projects: The centre provides expert supervision in various colloquia stimulating open debate and de-hierarchized exchange.
- We promote gender-related events and cooperative workshops on gender competencies with respect to research, teaching, and career opportunities.
- We maintain active cooperation and communication with the university’s women’s representative council. The centre therefore has its own women’s representative.
With this profile providing the basis for the centre’s commitment to diversity and equality, further perspectives on development will be realized. We aim to
- increase the number of female representatives in the centre’s decision-making bodies;
- intensify gender-related research in the centre’s research activities;
- link the centre’s research interests to the university’s teaching activities (workshops, lecture series) and provide students with latest insights and critical expertise;
- further encourage and develop gender debates in intercultural contexts.
Gender-related Projects at the GCSC:
Lale Dayioglu, Promotionsprojekt: Genderaspekte in Gedächtniskonstellationen.Eine vergleichende Untersuchung zu neueren deutschsprachigen und türkischen Familienromanen
Stefanie Bock, Promotionsprojekt (abgeschlossen): Grundzüge einer gender-orientierten Imagologie am Beispiel von Deutschlandstereotypen in ausgewählten Werken englischsprachiger Autorinnen von 1890-1918
Important links regarding gender equality
Arbeitsstelle Gender Studies